December 9, 2022

Paul Pelosi reportedly released from San Francisco hospital after hammer attack | Nancy Pelosi


Paul Pelosi, the husband of House speaker Nancy Pelosi, has reportedly been released from the San Francisco hospital where he was recovering after being attacked by a man wielding a hammer in the couple’s home.

Paul Pelosi underwent successful surgery for a fractured skull and other injuries following the attack last Friday, which has been widely condemned as an act of politically-motivated violence.

Several news outlets including the Associated Press reported on Thursday afternoon that he had been discharged and would continue his recovery at home, according to sources familiar with the matter.

His release comes as US authorities said that the alleged attacker, David DePape, is a Canadian citizen who was in the United States illegally 14 years after he entered as a visitor.

The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Ice) agency said on Thursday it has issued a “detainer” notice with San Francisco authorities seeking custody of DePape once criminal proceedings against him are completed. DePape has been charged with attempted murder and attempted kidnapping, among other crimes.

Under the detainer, lodged with the San Francisco county jail on 1 November, four days after his arrest, DePape would be turned over to Ice for possible deportation to Canada after serving any prison sentence he receives, according to Ice.

DePape, 42, was arrested at the San Francisco home of the speaker of the US House of Representatives after he allegedly forced his way into the residence, demanded to see Nancy Pelosi and then clubbed her husband in the head with a hammer.

Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat who is second in the line of succession to the presidency, was in Washington at the time.

According to court documents filed by prosecutors, DePape told police after his arrest that he had planned to kidnap the speaker, interrogate and break her kneecaps if she “lied”.

The attack left Paul Pelosi, 82, hospitalized and facing a lengthy recovery.

DePape, who has been jailed without bond, pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to state charges of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, burglary, elder abuse, false imprisonment and threatening a public official. He could face a maximum sentence of 13 years to life in prison if convicted.

Federal prosecutors have charged DePape separately with assault and attempted kidnapping charges punishable by up to 50 years in prison.

Records show that DePape entered the United States as a temporary visitor in March 2008 at the San Ysidro US-Mexico border crossing in San Diego.

According to immigration officials, admissible Canadian travelers who present themselves as a visitor for business or pleasure generally do not require a visa and are typically admitted for a stay of up to six months in the United States.



Source link